Tuesday, October 23, 2007

More Like Reagan

Man, how many times have I heard this on talk radio in the last 6 months. "We need a candidate more like Reagan", "We need to be more like Reagan", "Reagan Conservative", etc. I happen to agree that Reagan was a GREAT conservative - I didn't agree with everything he did - but he was a great man. One thing Reagan had going for him was that he was no mitigator. He was often pushed to tone down his language, but he stood for a few things that he did NOT budge on.
Now - during one of the most critical elections for the conservative movement, most conservatives are saying - "Pick the best Hillary alternative". This is not AT ALL like Reagan. Look guys - it's easy to say "Be like Reagan" - it's a lot harder to ACTUALLY be like Reagan. To do this we'd have to say No, we WON'T settle for the easiest Hillary alternative - we DEMAND a real conservative for our party. This is what Reagan would do.

Why do I feel like we're gonna get Rudy regardless? Not that I have an axe to grind with Rudy, I just don't like feeling like I'm being sold on this guy. I mean we're already being pre-tenderized with the "Who's gonna pick the best judges" talk. Yeah, picking judges is important, but so is prosecuting wars - and I don't mean the kind of prosecuting we've been hearing about from the left - mean really running a war. Are any of the Better-Than-Hillary's TRULY the man you want at the helm during war time?

eGADS I'd love to see a ballsey conservative who's not nuts come forward and really run on conservatism.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

agreed

Anonymous said...

Thank God for primaries. I think you touch on two realities in your post: conservatives should demand conservatism out of their candidates; and Hillary is going to be a disaster. Truthfully, Obama is going to be a disaster, as is Dodd, Kucinich, et al. We have to push for the most conservative candidate (without flaws that might render him/her unelectable) during the primary, with the understanding that although not perfect, whatever candidate we end up with is going to be better than the alternative from the other side.